What is the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Service’s (CMS) current guidance for date of service (DOS) for molecular pathology test regarding an ADLT?
For a molecular pathology test or an advanced diagnostic laboratory test (ADLT), report the date the test was performed only if:
- The test was performed after a hospital outpatient’s discharge from the hospital outpatient department.
- The specimen was obtained from a hospital outpatient during an encounter.
- It was medically appropriate to take the sample from the hospital outpatient during the hospital outpatient encounter.
- The results of the test do not advise treatment provided during the hospital outpatient encounter.
- The test was considered reasonable and necessary for the treatment of an illness.
This question was answered in an edition of our Laboratory Compliance Manager. For more hot topics relating to laboratory services, please visit our store or call us at 1.800.252.1578, ext. 2.