Can all laboratories use revenue center codes?


Revenue center codes are only used on the 837I electronic claim or the UB-04 paper claim form for hospital services provided to inpatients, outpatients and nonpatients. These codes identify categories of service for each subsection of the laboratory as well as pharmacy (coagulation factors and Rhogam) and blood and blood products (storage and processing fees per unit). Hospitals use these codes to group the charges for itemized hospital services. Independent laboratories and physician office laboratories that use CMS-1500 claim forms or 837P electronic format to bill for services do not use revenue center codes.

This question was answered in the 2018 edition of our Coding Essentials for Laboratories. For more hot topics relating to laboratory services, please view our store, or call us at 1.800.252.1578 ext. 2.


CPT® copyright 2021 American Medical Association (AMA). All rights reserved.

Fee schedules, relative value units, conversion factors and/or related components are not assigned by the AMA, are not part of CPT, and the AMA is not recommending their use. The AMA does not directly or indirectly practice medicine or dispense medical services. The AMA assumes no liability for data contained or not contained herein.

CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.