We’ll help you make sure your coding and billing keep up with the latest changes and requirements
“Frequently performed” does not necessarily translate to “easy coding.” This is the case with coding and billing for mammography and other breast imaging procedures, as well as bone density scans — among the most common services in hospitals and imaging centers. Every year brings advances in technologies and procedures, along with new state and federal mandates and changes to codes and coding guidelines. Is your department staying on top of all these changes?
Through years of change, coders and billing departments have depended on the steady guidance provided by our Breast & Bone Density Procedure Coding Guide. In one resource, you get comprehensive help, from clear explanations of CPT® codes and their practical application, to clarification of common questions. If the full, appropriate payment is important to your facility, you need this tried-and-true guide!
Features and Benefits
In the 2023 edition:
- Explanations and practical application of new and revised codes
- Updated billing tips and expanded guidance through common problem areas, such as breast MRI-including the abbreviated protocol (fast) MRI, fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy, ultrasound elastography and breast ultrasound
- The latest information on federal dense breast notification laws
- Guidance related to COVID-19
- Payment information, including reductions for the new year and where the impact will fall
Our experts address common questions, concerns, and problem areas:
- How to report a screening vs. diagnostic mammogram
- The use of “complete” CPT codes for breast interventions
- Clarification of when you may code for a diagnostic and screening mammogram during the same patient encounter
- Avoiding inappropriate billing for evaluation and management services
- Help with ICD-10 coding for various procedures, including bone density scans
- Addressing National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) edits and Medically Unlikely Edits (MUEs)
- Documentation required to support code assignments
Clear, step-by-step guidance through the tasks you perform every day:
- Coding for a full range of diagnostic and interventional procedures, including breast interventions, mammography, digital breast tomosynthesis, bone density scans (DEXA/DXA) —including the new trabecular bone score (TBS) measurements, and imaging guidance (ultrasonic, CT and MR)
- Discussion of alternate imaging types such as ultrasound elastography, contrast-enhanced ultrasound and bone density ultrasound
- Covers and translates code assignments by both hospital (technical) and physician (professional) entities
A proven quick-reference approach for busy professionals:
- Codes are organized by types of procedures and technologies, and then by CPT/HCPCS code sequence
- Each section includes:
- Listings of CPT/HCPCS codes, revenue codes and modifiers, along with the corresponding procedures
- Medicare payment table containing RVUs and hospital OPPS rates
- Description of procedures by CPT/HCPCS codes
- Billing tips
- Case examples and Q&As to help clarify and reinforce key points
Looking for more valuable coding education and news? Check out our new Diagnostic Radiology All-Access Pass and/or our Comprehensive Radiology All-Access Pass.
CPT® is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
For certain MedLearn Publishing publications, you will see an ‘AMA Royalty Fee’ in your shopping cart. This charge covers the licensing fee MedLearn Publishing pays to the American Medical Association (AMA) for references to CPT® codes. The AMA owns the copyright for CPT codes.
*All-Access Pass subscribers receive 30% off the print version of the books included with their membership. This 30% does not include AMA fees or shipping and handling fees. For questions please email us.
**Please note that eBooks cannot be printed, and all sales on eBooks are final. If you would like a printed copy of this resource please select the Print version and allow time for shipping.