When is lung function evaluation performed for pulmonary function testing?
Pulmonary function tests describe a wide array of measurements designed to evaluate the status of structural components of the lung. Understand they include but are not limited to, spirometry, diffusion capacity studies, lung volumes, and gas diffusion studies. The evaluation of lung function is indicated for the following reasons:
- To determine the presence of lung disease or abnormality of lung function
- To determine the extent of abnormalities and the causative disease process
- To determine the extent of disability due to abnormal lung function
- To determine the progression of the disease
- To determine the type of disease or lesion
- To determine a course of therapy in the treatment of the particular condition