General Question for the Week of March 18, 2024


We are trying to find guidance for the coders when we have fluids and/or fluids with electrolytes that have been documented as running for hours and even days. Should all the hours really be reported? What are the helpful hints for coders to decide the billable quantity of 96361 to report? Is there an official reference that can be given?


There is currently not a single resource to cite as a reference. The AMA CPT®does state the facility should report the total units of time provided continuously for services that last beyond midnight (e.g., over a range of dates). Documentation of the patient’s status and correction of the pathological cause of dehydration or fluid loss should be a guide to coding of hydration therapy. Coders should be cognizant of the total times for each date of service for the fluid/drug administered and report the applicable number of units for administration documented on each date.

This question was answered in our Coding Essentials for Infusion & Injection Therapy Services. For more hot topics relating to infusion services, please visit our store or call us at 1.800.252.1578, ext. 2.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

CPT® copyright 2023 American Medical Association (AMA). All rights reserved.

Fee schedules, relative value units, conversion factors and/or related components are not assigned by the AMA, are not part of CPT, and the AMA is not recommending their use. The AMA does not directly or indirectly practice medicine or dispense medical services. The AMA assumes no liability for data contained or not contained herein.

CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.

Happy World Health Day! Our exclusive webcast, ‘2024 SDoH Update: Navigating Coding and Screening Assessment,’  is just $99 for a limited time! Use code WorldHealth24 at checkout.

SPRING INTO SAVINGS! Get 21% OFF during our exclusive two-day sale starting 3/21/2024. Use SPRING24 at checkout to claim this offer. Click here to learn more →