Do we need to report the JW modifier in an OPPS hospital setting when a drug is discarded?


Yes, for OPPS hospitals, reporting this modifier is required for all separately payable drugs assigned status indicators G (Pass-through Drugs and Biologicals) or K (Nonpass-through Drugs and Nonimplantable Biologicals, including Therapeutic Radiopharmaceuticals) when an unused or discarded amount is documented and submitted for reimbursement.

This question was answered in our Coding Essentials for Infusion & Injection Therapy Services. For more hot topics relating to infusion services, please visit our store or call us at 1.800.252.1578, ext. 2.


CPT® copyright 2021 American Medical Association (AMA). All rights reserved.

Fee schedules, relative value units, conversion factors and/or related components are not assigned by the AMA, are not part of CPT, and the AMA is not recommending their use. The AMA does not directly or indirectly practice medicine or dispense medical services. The AMA assumes no liability for data contained or not contained herein.

CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.